Engineer's Degree in Aero/Astro

The degree of Engineer represents an additional year (or more) of study beyond the M.S. degree and includes a research thesis. The program is designed for students who wish to do professional engineering work upon graduation and who want to engage in more specialized study than is afforded by the master's degree alone. Admission standards are substantially the same as for the master's program.


Students wishing to pursue the Engineer's degree must first fulfill the department's requirements for the master's degree or their substantial equivalent. Beyond the master's degree, a total of 45 units of work is required, including a minimum of 30 units of courses. These 30 units should include 9 units of mathematics and 15 units of course work chosen from one particular field of study decided upon in consultation with the student's advisor. Free electives may be used to complete the 30 units (excluding practicing courses in music, art and physical education). Students may register for up to 15 units of Engineer thesis.

Candidates for the degree of Engineer are required to have a minimum GPA of 3.0 for courses beyond those required for the Master's degree. (All courses except seminars and those that are mandatory pass/no-credit should be taken for a grade.)


Students studying towards the Engineer degree must submit an Application for Candidacy no later than the second quarter of Engineer's study, and at least one quarter before graduating. This form indicates the courses and thesis work that the student will be using for the degree. If the research topic cannot be clearly described when this form is filed, the area of research should be described along with a timetable for identifying a thesis topic. Blank forms may be obtained in the A/A Student Services Office.

The Application for Candidacy should be signed by the student's advisor. If the research is in an area different from the academic advisor's expertise, then a research advisor should also sign. The form should then be submitted to the A/A Student Services Office for the Candidacy Chairman's signature. Neglecting to file for candidacy can prevent the receipt of the degree.

Changes to the program of study can be filed at any time by submitting a revised Candidacy form or a "Request for Change in Academic Program." After the advisor's signature is obtained, the form should be submitted to the A/A Student Services Office for the Candidacy Chairman's approval. In order to graduate, all units listed on the current Candidacy form must be completed.


For specific information regarding the format and deadlines for submission of theses, please check with the Graduate Degree Progress Office. The department recommends that students follow the format defined in the handbook Directions for Preparing Doctoral Dissertations, available in the Graduate Degree Progress Office. Note: the advisor must sign the thesis before the filing deadline, which is generally the last day of classes during the graduation quarter.

Mid-year degrees are not officially conferred until the first week of the quarter after degree completion, and actual diplomas are printed only once a year, for distribution at the University's Commencement in June. However, students who have submitted their theses and have no outstanding Stanford academic or financial obligations may obtain an official University "certificate of completion" from the Graduate Degree Progress Office.

Note: Students do not need to be registered during the quarter in which they submit their theses, if they were registered in the immediately preceding quarter. This one-quarter "grace period" cannot be extended.